Re: cdrom problems

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 11:39:09AM -0600, rick@rhix.ods.org wrote:
> I have a scsi cdrom, a scsi cdrw, and an ide cdrw on my Digital Server
> 3305 (same as an AlphaServer800 i think).  All three devices work.  The
> CDRW used to work 100% in my Pentium, the scsi cdrom i can use perfectly
> to install debian, and the scsi cdrw, well, that one i cant prove its
> working perfectly.
>
> I get the same behavior out of all three, which is: random crashes when
> using them.  I mount a CD, then its wait and see.  sometimes it'll work
> flawlessly, othertimes mount will not even return, and the box just
> stops responding alltogether.  I can burn a CD fine with both CDRWs, but
> the box crashes right after fixating the disk.  Come to think of it...i
> think i can only burn with the scsi cdrw, the ide one crashes before
> burning.
>
> What i have figured out:
> -it cant be a scsi problem cause i have the same problem with ide
> -it cant be an ide problem cause i have the same problem with scsi

Well, you are driving the IDE-CDRW over SCSI-emulation ? Could you
simply test one device after another to see if maybe some
SCSI(-Emulation) conflict arises, i.e. connect only the CD-ROM,
mount/unmount/read it for a while, then only one of the CD-RWs, burn
CD's and simmilar for the IDE-CDRW. For the first two tests you might
use a kernel without SCSI emulation (or if this is as a module, don't
load it).

These are the only suggestions I can give you to try.

Greetings

             Helge

--
Helge Kreutzmann, Dipl.-Phys.               Helge.Kreutzmann@itp.uni-hannover.de