Re: cdrom problems

While i wouldnt rule out SCSI[-emulation] conflicts out, this problem
has always been with this box, since i've had it (almost a year now).
At first i only had the scsi cdrom in it.  It was usable, but did crash
my box on occasions (ie: after my 38days of uptime, grrr).  Then when i
added the scsi burner, the scsi cdrom became more troublesome.  I could
sorta use the burner to read CDs, but burning them would crash right
after fixating (you'd be surprised at how many cds i've burnt though :P
), but the burner would still crash the box randomly.  Now that i added
the ide burner, in hopes that it was a scsi problem, well it just made
matters worse again.

The only other scsi device that i have in there is my scsi harddrive.
And that's never caused me problems that i know of.  The fact that it's
totally random really makes me wonder.  I cant reproduce it at will
(without burning, as thats a garanteed crash).

I've noticed though, that when it crashes, its a strange behavior.  What
happens is that the box is ok, until it tries to read the harddrive.  I
can move my mouse on my current window, but as soon as i move it out of
the window onto another one, or try minimizing a window, the box
freezes, no longer responds to pings, so i cant even ssh to it.

But i might try connecting just one device at a time, see how that works
out.

Thanks

Richard Fillion
rick@rhix.ods.org