Re: initrd problems

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 06:44:14AM -0700, ian.b.nospam@myrealbox.com wrote:

> This is spectacularly unhelpful. What's needed is a description of
> exactly WHAT boot arguments are required. After digging around in
> various documentation, this is my best guess at the MILO command line:
>
>   boot hda1:/vmlinuz initrd=hda1:/initrd.img root=/dev/rd/0 ramdisk_size=8192
>
> When I try this, the kernel boots up and then panics with some message
> like "cramfs: wrong magic". For variety, I tried /dev/ram and
> /dev/ram0 as the root device, with similar results.

If your MILO version is one of the recent 2.2 vintage, I think you
need to specify the boot line as:

    boot hda1:/vmlinuz initrd=/initrd.img root=/dev/hda1

The first important part is that there is no device specification on
the initrd argument. MILO only has one device open at a given time,
and you specified it for the kernel and don't need it again. The
initrd processing will assume the image file is on the same device
as the kernel.

And the "real" root you want to use is /dev/hda1 (I assume); this will
become active as soon as everything that's needed from the initrd is
loaded. IIRC, it's various standard scripts in the initrd that cause
the appropriate modules to be loaded for what's going to be needed to
handle the "real" root; in your case, the IDE drivers, in other cases,
perhaps the EXT3 journalling support.

> The MILO version is the one from the testing directory on the
> servers. Just before the kernel starts, MILO coughs up some message
> about loading the initial ramdisk, but it goes by too fast to read.

I think it's saying it can't find it.

> The /initrd.img file is a symlink to the actual image file created by
> the package install. The /vmlinuz file is a symlink too, and MILO
> doesn't have any problem with it.

This is all fine; I've just been doing exactly that... :-)

> Other details: PC64 with 64MB memory, MILO in flash, 12GB IDE
> disk. Everything works fine with the 2.2.17 kernel.

Old bugger... ;-}

Good luck; let me know if this works.

--Jay++