Re: Lost with Jensen (and some more questions)

On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 19:48, Sergio Pascual Ramírez wrote:
> There are also some floppy images under
> /dists/potato/main/disks-alpha/2.2.20-2000-12-03/jensen/images-1.44
>
> But, for what are they? Jensens cant boot from floppy disks. Are these
> images for booting from aboot?
>
> I know that there are jensen machines with Debian. If somebody could help
> me, I would be very grateful.

Well, I've got a pair of Jensen's that I'm setting up for a volunteer
organisation.  They're nasty machines to set up IMHO :-)

Now, what I did was mash together a few pieces of documentation from
around the place, and eventually got the install to run.

You'll need to find the programs 'minlabel.exe' and 'copyboot.exe' and
use them to create the disk label on the hard disk, and to copy a floppy
disk image to the hard disk, then boot that.  This is how I got my
installation to work.

If you need them, I can send you copies of these programs, along with
more detailed notes (that I will be passing on to whoever will be
looking after the machines once I'm done with them).

I've also got questions about a few specific things with Jensen's.

Firstly, software RAID-1 support.  It produces kernel oopses for me
after a seemingly random amount of work (sometimes a mke2fs does it,
sometimes after copying data to it).  Does anyone know what kernel
version I have to use to make it work?  It looks like using the
'failed-disk' technique to create RAID-1's seems to trigger the oopses
more.

Secondly, AIC7xxx support.  I have an EISA AIC7xxx adaptor (I can't
remember the model number, but I'm thinking something like 2820T, but
that doesn't look right) installed in the machine, which I'm not sure
has been set up correctly.  When I originally received the machine, it's
EISA config had been corrupted and I had to re-run the setup.  However,
locating appropriate EISA config files for this card has been a
challenge.  Has anyone succeeded with the EISA setup of this card?  It
is throwing up problems when loading the kernel drivers for the card,
like probing every SCSI ID and hanging when it finds something.

Any hints will be greatly appreciated.
--
Joel Michael			|  Phone:	+61 7 3367 3555
Systems Administrator		|  Fax:		+61 7 3367 3544