initrd problems

I've spent the last two days trying to get the 2.4.18 kernel which
recently appeared on the servers to boot. After solving various MILO
problems, I find that the initrd configuration is a complete
mystery. The installation script has only this to say:

  You are attempting to install an initrd kernel image (version XXX)
  This will not work unless you have configured your boot loader to use
  initrd.

This is spectacularly unhelpful. What's needed is a description of
exactly WHAT boot arguments are required. After digging around in
various documentation, this is my best guess at the MILO command line:

  boot hda1:/vmlinuz initrd=hda1:/initrd.img root=/dev/rd/0 ramdisk_size=8192

When I try this, the kernel boots up and then panics with some message
like "cramfs: wrong magic". For variety, I tried /dev/ram and
/dev/ram0 as the root device, with similar results.

The MILO version is the one from the testing directory on the
servers. Just before the kernel starts, MILO coughs up some message
about loading the initial ramdisk, but it goes by too fast to read.

The /initrd.img file is a symlink to the actual image file created by
the package install. The /vmlinuz file is a symlink too, and MILO
doesn't have any problem with it.

Other details: PC64 with 64MB memory, MILO in flash, 12GB IDE
disk. Everything works fine with the 2.2.17 kernel.

Presumably, other people are getting this to work. What's the magic
trick?

Ian Bruce
ian.b.nospam@myrealbox.com