Re: Linux on a DEC alpha XL-300

Paul Slootman wrote:

> --snip-- <

You have to tell milo where to find the kernel.  That implies changing
the device name from sda1 to sda2 (or wherever your FAT partition is).
You also have to tell it the type (fat) of file system, I believe.
No, I'm not going to reboot my alpha to check this out :-) (I'd also
have to drag a monitor to where it is, as it's basically running
headless; when I do have to reboot, I cross my fingers :-).

Paul Slootman

I got it working based on the above. Just moved the kernel file to my FAT partition (/dev/sdb1) and made sure the names fit the msdos 8x3 convention. ( That messed me up on the first try). Works like a charm. I didn't have to make any other changes. Wonder if you can store an initrd image file there too.....?

For anybody else interested, here is the milo prompt command line I used for booting a kernel in the FAT partition:

MILO>  boot sdb1:good root=/dev/sdb3

Where sdb1 is the FAT partition and sdb3 is my ext2 "/" partition. I copied & renamed "vmlinuz-2.2.20" (my only bootable kernel in /boot) to "good" in the FAT partition.

Thanks & Cheers
-Don Spoon-