Re: Linux on a DEC alpha XL-300

On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, Paul Slootman wrote:
> On Fri 05 Apr 2002, Donald R. Spoon wrote:
> > Paul Slootman wrote:
>
> > >I use a 2.0.35 (I think) version on mine. And take note that that
> > >doesn't understand the newer 2.2 ext2 filesystem... I have my kernel on
> > >the same FAT partition as milo, and that works fine.
> >
> > I have heard this advice often, but I don't fully understand it.  I have
> > been running Debian on my XLT 300 since the days of HAM, and am
>
> That's exactly the point.
> Your filesystem was created by an old version, and hence your filesystem
> *is* an old version.

Interesting side note: it's possible to upgrade such an old version to
ext3fs (using tune2fs -j) and the 2.0.35 milo will still happily boot from
it. I'm running a 2.4.18 kernel booting from a ext3 root filesystem on a
XL266 system, works like a charm..

~~  Wieger

--
There's no time like Guinness time..