Re: Linux on a DEC alpha XL-300

Paul Slootman wrote:
On Fri 05 Apr 2002, Graham, Ward wrote:

Help - tried to get Linux on an xl-300 for 8 hours.  Tried apb (up1000) and
milo/linload.exe (xl and xlt).

up1000 after apb> boot ...
clears the screen and locks up

milo - loading PAL - locks

You need an _old_ version of milo for the XLT...
I use a 2.0.35 (I think) version on mine. And take note that that
doesn't understand the newer 2.2 ext2 filesystem... I have my kernel on
the same FAT partition as milo, and that works fine.

Paul Slootman

Paul,

I have heard this advice often, but I don't fully understand it. I have been running Debian on my XLT 300 since the days of HAM, and am currently running the latest from "testing". I have never had any problems booting any of the supplied kernels or up-grade kernel-image packages from my root ext2 directory! My experience doesn't seem to match that of others. The only kernel that I have had problems with is the reent 2.4.18 kernel-image package in SID, and I am getting close on getting it to boot. I am currently using milo-2.0.35-c7b that I picked up somewhere alone the way. I got into an argument about this a while back, but didn't have the technical smarts to argue very long <g>. All I know is it "works for me".

I sent Graham a copy of the milo I am using via E-Mail, and suggested he use it. He should be set up.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-