Re: Linux on a DEC alpha XL-300

On Sat, 6 Apr 2002, Donald R. Spoon wrote:

> My XLT has a built in NCR53c810a controller card, and the ncr53c8xx,
> sym53c8xx, and the newer sym53c8xx version 2 drivers all fail at the
> point of the cache test and disconnect from the bus.  They all detect
> the controller card properly, but fail during setup. The end result is
> that the root fs is not mounted and the next disk access request causes
> a kernel panic because it can't be found.  Which SCSI controller does
> your system have and are you using it??

*Dig* I'm using 'NCR53C8XX SCSI support', with 2 scsi disks an a scsi
cdrom attached. All further scsi options are default.

> I had suspected that the older milo was involved in some way... maybe
> not setting up a memory cache area correctly or overwriting this area
> with something else.  Now I am not so sure...  I am about out of ideas
> on how to get around this "problem".  Any suggestions would be
> appreciated.

Hm... are you building a 'generic' kernel or a kernel for a specific
system type? (I'm using system type 'Alpha-XL', your system is a
'Alcor/Alpha-XLT')

Oh btw.. I seem to be running a '2.4.18-rc3' kernel instead of '2.4.18',
maybe that matters, I don't know how much these versions differ.

I could send you my .config file off list if you think it might help...

~~  Wieger

--
There's no time like Guinness time..