Re: Linux on a DEC alpha XL-300

Wieger Opmeer wrote:
--snip-- <

Interesting side note: it's possible to upgrade such an old version to
ext3fs (using tune2fs -j) and the 2.0.35 milo will still happily boot from
it. I'm running a 2.4.18 kernel booting from a ext3 root filesystem on a
XL266 system, works like a charm..

~~  Wieger

Thats good news!

Right now I am trying to compile my own 2.4.18 kernel. The old milo starts booting it, but goes into a kernel panic at setting up the SCSI contoller card.

My XLT has a built in NCR53c810a controller card, and the ncr53c8xx, sym53c8xx, and the newer sym53c8xx version 2 drivers all fail at the point of the cache test and disconnect from the bus. They all detect the controller card properly, but fail during setup. The end result is that the root fs is not mounted and the next disk access request causes a kernel panic because it can't be found. Which SCSI controller does your system have and are you using it??

I had suspected that the older milo was involved in some way... maybe not setting up a memory cache area correctly or overwriting this area with something else. Now I am not so sure... I am about out of ideas on how to get around this "problem". Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-