Re: Alpha newbie install woes

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002 01:59:31 -0800
"Shannon Menkveld" <shannon@strangehouse.com> blurted in message
[🔎] 001001c1dbbf$6a6f4c80$3ded0644@sd.cox.net:

> Hello, all...
>
>     I have just built up (out of 100% donated parts) an Alpha system with
>     a Samsung 164UX board (ruffian, I believe it's called), 633 MHz 21164
>     CPU, 256 MB, and a motley crew of drives: 1) 2 GB SCSI Conner HD, 2)
>     3.5 GB EIDE HD, 3) SCSI CD-R and a floppy.  All memory and drives are
>     recognized at boot.  I have gotten as far as using arcinst from my NT
>     4.0 disk to create the Samsung-recommended 10 MB partition on the
>     first SCSI hard drive. Unfortunately (or fortunately), several of the
>     files on my buddy-burned copy of NT 4 appear to be corrupted, as they
>     will not copy to the drive.  So, I decided to see if I could run the
>     system straight Linux. That's where the problem lies.  I cannot get
>     the thing to run MILO to save my life.  I've tried from the CD-ROM, at
>     scsi(0)cdrom(4)fdisk(0), and from floppy at multi(0)disk(0)fdisk(0).
>     In both cases, the system accesses the target device, and then stops.
>     Drive lights go out, and if I hit<Enter>, I get prompted to press a
>     key and return to ArcsBIOS.  Attempts to use ldmilo instead of linload
>     return a "this system not supported" type of error message.
>     I have been a Linux user since 1998, but only on x86.  The boot
>     process on this machine has got me scratching my head harder than any
>     computer has in years.  I've even tried running linload and ldmilo
>     from the "Run Program" function, without success.  Any help would be
>     greatly appreciated.

It's a horrible boot process, and it's the only machine that does this.

>From Memory (I sold mine). You need to get ldmilo, and a milo.
The best way to do this is to get the ruffian.img from an older (6.2) redhat
release. That should boot milo to the point where you can do work. To make
it more fun, it will be a 2.0.something MILO, which can have problems with
newer kernels :(.

And, there are two versions of ldmilo.exe, one that says "Jay's hacked
version". As far as I recall, that version is better, and behaves itself
more correctly.

(search the archives for URL's.. I think gatekeeper.dec.com used to have the
hacked version on it).

HTH,
L.
--
 Liam Bedford | It's just the facts of life