Alpha newbie install woes

Hello, all...

    I have just built up (out of 100% donated parts) an Alpha system with a
Samsung 164UX board (ruffian, I believe it's called), 633 MHz 21164 CPU, 256
MB, and a motley crew of drives: 1) 2 GB SCSI Conner HD, 2) 3.5 GB EIDE HD,
3) SCSI CD-R and a floppy.  All memory and drives are recognized at boot.  I
have gotten as far as using arcinst from my NT 4.0 disk to create the
Samsung-recommended 10 MB partition on the first SCSI hard drive.
Unfortunately (or fortunately), several of the files on my buddy-burned copy
of NT 4 appear to be corrupted, as they will not copy to the drive.  So, I
decided to see if I could run the system straight Linux.
    That's where the problem lies.  I cannot get the thing to run MILO to
save my life.  I've tried from the CD-ROM, at scsi(0)cdrom(4)fdisk(0), and
from floppy at multi(0)disk(0)fdisk(0).  In both cases, the system accesses
the target device, and then stops.  Drive lights go out, and if I hit
<Enter>, I get prompted to press a key and return to ArcsBIOS.  Attempts to
use ldmilo instead of linload return a "this system not supported" type of
error message.
    I have been a Linux user since 1998, but only on x86.  The boot process
on this machine has got me scratching my head harder than any computer has
in years.  I've even tried running linload and ldmilo from the "Run Program"
function, without success.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--Shannon