Questions about the Real Time Clock

I recently had my main SCSI HD die, and had to replace it with the one I took out originally. Fortunately, I had not modified it so I could boot back into an older version of Linux w/o problems. Unfortunately, I don't recall all the stuff I had on there, nor when it was put there so updating has been a real joy :(

The current "problem" involves modprobe complaining about not finding "char-major-10-135", which I have discovered is the RTC. Well, this is as it should be since I had re-compiled the kernel and took that support out. But WHY is it still trying to load something with modprobe? The complaints happen right after the hwclock is accessed on boot-up, so I suspect it is connected to whatever the hwclock script is doing. I have managed to dream up the following questions for the "gurus":

1. Are the "hardware clock" and the "real time clock" the same or are they different devices in the BIOS?

2. If they are the same, then does removing RTC support from the kernel keep the system from accessing the hardware clock?

3. If different, is RTC support needed in anyway to run the NTPDATE or NTP programs?

4. If the RTC is not needed and I have support turned off in the kernel, can I just remove the /dev/rtc entry and make these complaints go away without hurting anyting else on the system?

The system is an Alpha XLT-300, and recently I had been using it as a local time-server until the HD died. I am trying to get it back into that function. The "current" OS is Debian "Woody", and the kernel is 2.2.20-generic + 256 Megs of RAM + Matrox Millenium Video card w/ 8 megs.

Please bear with me, as I am operating at a HIGH level of ignorance here.

TIA.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-