Re: replacement cpu board (was Dead Box)

On Saturday 21 December 2002 01:20 pm, Richard Fillion wrote:
> I sent out an email about a week ago about my dead Digital
> Server 3305, and i got a bunch of responses, i thank you all
> for that.  Last night i was able to perform various tests on
> the box, and unfortunately the PSU seems not to be the
> problem.  The power gets to the motherboard, and the
> motherboard transfers the power to the cpu board, all at the
> right voltages.

well, that's one piece of good news.

> I did find though, what i blame for the "fried smell", a small
> part seems to have gotten hot enough to unsolder itself from
> the cpu board. So i resoldered it, and tried it again, once
> again it did nothing.  But the part got _really_ hot,
> obviously hotter than standard operating temperatures.

eBay might be a good place to check.  The system sounds like a
fairly old server (21164 CPU?); if you have the exact CPU board
type, you might have a fair bit of luck finding an auction for
such a part.  The part will likely cost under $50 if it's as old
as it sounds.

The worst that would happen is you'd have to buy an EB164/PC164
series mobo+CPU off of eBay.  That sort of platform is
relatively inexpensive and works well with most commodity PC
parts.

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"