Install sequence problem with MILO boot from CD.

The machine I am working on is a DIGITAL Personal Workstation 500a.
I have CD 1 through 3 of Debian Alpha 3.0 (woody).

I have followed the install manual for the Alpha port.
My first step is to try to boot a kernel, I followed the steps in
chapter 5 of the
install manual (5 Booting the installation system).
I managed to boot MILO on CD1, but MILO does not automatically boot any
kernel.
The install manual does not mention that you end up with just the MILO
prompt.
It goes on to describe dbootstrap. However I tried to get MILO to boot
"CD1:/boot/linux"
which apparently is a kernel image since it actualy starts from MILO
and gives the familiar boot messages.
I tried to use "CD1:/boot/root.bin" as root file system on a ramdisk,
without success.
Maybe I give the wrong boot parameters in MILO...
There are also some images in
"CD1:/dists/woody/main/disks-alpha/current"
that I tried to use as kernel and root file system without success.

Is the install process for woody with MILO automatic as the manual
implicitly tells?
What kernel image, boot parameters and root file system should I use to
get the install
working?
Are there any documents that describe the Debian 3.0 Alpha port's boot
sequences in detail?

The install manual states that if you have the ARC Console you should
switch to
SRM since SRM is the preferred Console. Now, I am not working on my own
PWS 500a
and thus would like to keep the current Console to be able switch back
to WinNT
when I return the machine.
Does aboot work much better than MILO, and does aboot work in some
situations where
MILO fails?

I am greatful for any advice that will get me going!

/Mattias Svensson