Alpha installation

Hello,

I have the debian-30r0-alpha-binary Cd set
I also have the JumpStart-1.4.1 CD

I'm trying to install to a Digital Alpha 433au.

When I try to boot to either cd using 'boot dqb0 -flags 0,0'
I get "unknown compression method" and it goes to the aboot prompt.

When I try to boot to either cd using 'boot dqb0 -flags 0'
it seems to start reading from the cd, but halts after about 40 seconds,
the screen changes color, and the last line written to the screen is:
SMC37c669 Super I/O Controller found @ 0x370

When I tried to create boot floppies from the Debian set, (on a linux system
using dd)
I get a smaller block count on the floppy than is on the cd for root.bin and
rescue.bin
and they don't work anyway.  (I'd prefer to boot from CD, though.)
I don't remember the block counts but the filesizes (with ls -l) are:
on CD         rescue.bin  is  1474560     root.bin   is   1474560
on floppy     rescue.bin  is  1457664     root.bin   is   1457664

Can someone please help?

A. R. Ocasio
Electronics Engineer
746TS / TGGIG