Re: dead PWS 600au

On Friday 13 December 2002 09:00 pm, Alexander Kotelnikov wrote:
> Hello.
>
> It is a great sorrow.
>
> I got my 600au, which I've purchased only one month ago, is
> sick or may be dead.
>
> The symptoms are: while working I worked on it when it
> occasionally halted. I got on serial console:
>
> --- start ---
> Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 vinci ttyS0
>
> vinci login:
> halted CPU 0
>
> halt co
> --- end ---
>
> Halt was not completed to any informational message or SRM
> prompt, so I have rebooted the machine with power button. I
> hear it starts, disks do something like syncing, LEDs are
> lighting on the main board but I do not get any signal neither
> on display nor on serial. I have rebooted it several times,
> but nothing changes.
>
> Probably this is related to tests I've made to make Herbert Xu
> patch to aboot working.
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2002/debian-boot-200212/ms
>g00527.html As provided it also made my alpha, when initrd was
> used, halting, but more elegantly, to SRM prompt.
>
> Any help/advices will be appreciated.

Hmmm...

Check for a "fail-safe boot" jumper and try booting with that.
I know my PC164LX board has this, but I don't know if your PWS
mainboard has anything like it.  I suspect all Alpha boxen have
it, but I can't be sure.

Basically what it does is it forces the system to boot into a
very minimal state.  No SRM, no AlphaBIOS, not even video
output--it just spins up the CPU and floppy and lets you telnet
into one of the serial ports.

The advantage to this is that it should work no matter what,
unless the hardware itself is dead.  Even if the firmware gets
nuked, the "fail-safe boot" trick should still work, and it will
allow you to flash the firmware if you have the proper files on
a nearby floppy disk.

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"