Re: up2000 too big for most cases?

Hi,

> i'm getting a up2000, and i've got my eye on a coolermaster 200 case. are
> the big slot b modules a problem? will it fit in any midsize atx case?

no, most likely it will *not* fit in a standard case. The UP2000 comes in a full-size
( extended ) ATX formfactor, which is supported by most server-type cases.
Unfortunately, the slot-B's are cooled by two fans each, which extend over the
edge of the mainboard, thus making it larger than EATX form-factor. You could
buy a case, which supports EATX formfactor in width, but supports boards, which are
a little "deeper" than EATX.
However, another issue is involved. The Slot-B modules are *very* heavy. A Slot-B
module weighs about 2 pounds. In order to prevent mechanical damage to the
mainboard, each slot-B Module in supported by 4 stand-offs, which are fixed by
screws. The "drill-template" of these stand-offs is not part of *any* ATX specification.
Therefore, if you vuy a standard ATX case, you'll most likely miss the holes necessary
for the Slot-B standoffs.

I had the same problem with my UP2000, which i fitted in a 19" inch 8U case. I had
to drill the additional holes and cut parts of the case ( for the Slot-B cooling fans ).
It can be done with some mechanical effort and i strongly encourage you to do so in
order to get a mechanically stable system. Don't even think of using the UP2000 without
the proper mechanical Slot-B standoffs.

Even worse, the UP2000 requires additional power-lines, besides the normal ATX connection.
API's website has gone offline, but i have been told, there is a "backup" at linuxalpha.org
Check there for the UP2000 user guide PDF, which shows all necessary details.

In case you can't find the docs, send me a mail. Obviously, i have a copy of these, which
i could send you.

While were at it: You asked recently, if the onboard Adaptec works. It does, using a
recent firmware, which should be standard an all UP2000 models, even work as a boot-device.
My UP2000 is well over three years old and was one of the very first being sold ( and let me
tell you, I'm very happy with it ). You are definitly not required to purchase any LSI/Symbios Logic
controller.

Regards,
T. Weyergraf