Re: stupid question time

On Fri, 2002-07-19 at 17:40, Rob Thyssen wrote:
> I have recently got my hands on an Alpha Digital Server 5000 (5305, to
> be precise). It's a real nice machine. Two processors, 2GB of RAM and 7
> 9GB SCSI drives as well as both power supplies. Naturally I want to
> install an operating system that utilises all the hardware resources. My
> first choice is Debian but being new to all things Linux I was wondering
> if any of you bright sparks out there can tell me if Debian (Woody)
> takes advantage of the 64 bit capabilities of the machine? I heard that
> it does not, but what do I know. Thanks in advance!
> /Rob

I don't see a reason why Debian (Potato, Woody or Sid) wouldn't take
advantage of the 64-bit capabilities. But maybe that's because I don't
see what's so special about it...
Why not give it a try? If you don't like it you can always just go back
to Tru64, VMS or maybe {Free,Open,Net}BSD, right?
Good luck,

Dannis