stupid question time

I have recently got my hands on an Alpha Digital Server 5000 (5305, to
be precise). It's a real nice machine. Two processors, 2GB of RAM and 7
9GB SCSI drives as well as both power supplies. Naturally I want to
install an operating system that utilises all the hardware resources. My
first choice is Debian but being new to all things Linux I was wondering
if any of you bright sparks out there can tell me if Debian (Woody)
takes advantage of the 64 bit capabilities of the machine? I heard that
it does not, but what do I know. Thanks in advance!
/Rob