Re: Sound on AS500/500

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 11:55:31PM +0100, M. Grabert wrote:

> I recently purchased an AS500/500 and installed debian/woody on it.
> Everthing works fine, except two things:
>
> After installing the 2.4.18 kernel (or was it 2.4.17) via dselect, I
> can't use the floppy anymore. The floppy module loads without complaints,
> but it is broken. The 2.2 kernel (and the floppy module) however works
> fine!

I think I may have patches for that, though I thought it was a problem
only on the early AS500s with CIA rev 1 core logic and EV5 (not EV56)
CPU (hi, Doc! :-). Let me know if you want to give them a try...

> Moreover I can't find out what sound card is used in the AS500/500 and how
> to get it working. I tried all 2.2 and 2.4 kernel modules, but none works.
> I looked in the web for some hint and all I found out was that some people
> using an add-on soundcard, like Creative-Labs Soundblaster.

The sound on there *is* a bit strange, a sort-of roll-our-own MS Windows
Sound System (ad1848?) but without the (Yamaha?) synthesizer chip. You
should be able to get it working with the standard/default IO and DMA
parameters, and IRQ 5 (or 9, can't remember which).

Good luck.

 --Jay++