Re: upgrading from stable to woody

Robert Funnell wrote:

On Tue, 28 May 2002, Adam C Powell IV wrote:

edit /etc/apt/sources.list to point to woody, and do apt-get
dist-upgrade

This usually works great, but for an upgrade of this magnitude (between
releases), I'd strongly recommend dselect or another tool with
interactive dependency negotiation.  It's really helpful to be able to
choose between packages providing dependencies, and to see what's
Recommended and Suggested, even though dselect is a pain about
Recommends... but that's another matter. :-)

I was going to ask if one could do this using dselect rather than
apt-get dist-upgrade, but concluded that it was a dumb question and
that the answer was obviously 'no'. I guess I was wrong. Do you have
to do anything special in dselect, or it's just a straight Upgrade?

Nope. Just update, select (which will include the interactive dependency negotiation), and install. The install step includes apt-get dselect-upgrade (if you're using the apt method in deselct).

When woody becomes stable, we'll just set our sources.list back to
stable and carry on?

Right.

Zeen,
--