Re: woody axp install problem

"Andre L." <andrel@yahoo.com> writes:

> I'm having trouble installing Woody on an Alphastation 250 4/266.
> Booting EWA0 from the tftp image worked and the initial
> configuration screens went fine.  I netloaded the basic system from
> the linux.csua.berkeley.edu mirror.
>
> After booting from DKA0 to finish the install I was prompted for
> timezone info, the root password, and to create a user account
> (which I decline, prefering to do it after the install).  Then the
> message "/etc/console/bootime/kmap.gz" appeared on the screen and I
> was brought back to the timezone prompt.  I cycled through the whole
> thing a few more times, but it seems to be an infinite loop.

This is a known bug in the base-config package (#145434). A fixed
base-config has already been uploaded to sid and will propagate to
woody in a few days. In the meantime, as a workaround, you could
download it from pool, copy it onto a floppy and install it manually
to /target after installing the base system, like:

chroot /target
mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
dpkg -i /mnt/*.deb
umount /mnt