Re: Why use an Alpha

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Robert Martinovic wrote:

> I've gotten to the point where I'm thinking of selling my Alpha. Why?
>
> * Mozilla doesn't compile (anything after M17)

Really?...well I've been using the RPMs from RedHat (yes, I know it's not
the same as having a .deb, but for him to make these packages it
must compile) from http://people.redhat.com/blizzard/software/

> * Support for Matrox Dual Head is so far non-existant

Last I knew some of the Dual head code is dependant on a binary only
library from Matrox. How much time have you spent talking to Matrox asking
if they'll port this to Alpha?

> * Kernel 2.4.1 DOES NOT WORK ON UP1000 using the Debian method - the other method I haven't tried

>From what I've seen 2.4.1 still has some issues on i386, nevermind a
non-x86 arch. These things take time as it's a function of developer
resources. How much have you contributed towards the development of
2.4? Also, what's the big rush for 2.4, which of it's features must you
have that 2.2 can't provide? I somehow doubt that 2.4 runs perfectly on
PPC,Sparc etc....as well. I can't speak to the debian packages as I'm
running 2.2 on my debian alpha box.

> * Do I need to keep going.

Well if they are specific bugs in Debian then I'd say file them in the
Debian bug system.

> This is not a whine from someone not prepared to help.
> It is a reflection on the situation we Alpha users, specifically Debian
> Alpha users have to deal with. No support apart from each other and no
> interest from anybody else.

Who are you expecting to be interested? "No support apart from each
other"?? I thought that's what community support was all about. Are you
saying that you want a phone number to call, someone you can give your
credit card number to? I'm not trying to be difficult here, but I'm rather
confused by your comments.

> Who here agrees?

Not I, I've found the Debian (and Linux) communities to be quite good at
support.

--rdp

--
Rich Payne