Re: Why wouldn't gcc release build on Alpha ?

"Andrei A. Dergatchev" wrote:

> > > Well, google gives a rather long response to "Debian source package
> > > glibc" query, and being rather new to Debian I don't know yet where
> > > to get it, so please kindly send it to me.
> >
> > Will do...attached...
>
> Thanks !
> Well, google and dejanews aren't of the great help and my brain isn't
> working at the end of the week :-( - would someone with a free minute
> please kindly tell me where are Debian source packages so that
> I'll be able to recompile glibc ?

That's easy, just type: "apt-get source glibc".  It gets the original source, Debian
patch, signed file from the maintainer with both md5sums (".dsc"), and unpacks and
patches the source.

If you want it to automatically build, just add "-b" or "--compile" after apt-get,
though you'll have to fakeroot if you're building as a normal user.

> I see source for 2.1.3 nearby:
> ftp://ftp.nl.debian.org/pub/linux/debian/dists/Debian2.2r2/main/binary-alpha/devel/
>
> but nothing like libc 2.2 in woody ? -
> ftp://ftp.nl.debian.org/pub/linux/debian/dists/woody/main/binary-alpha/devel/

All of the new packages have been put in debian/pool(/main/g/glibc).  Some made it
into woody/testing before the pool, but you'll notice there's nothing in sid/unstable,
all of the Packages listings are either in the dists/woody, dists/potato or pool
trees.

Surf around a bit, look at Contents.gz and Packages(.gz) files, what you find may
impress you.  Isn't Debian cool? :-)

-Adam P.