Re: PostgreSQL 7?

Hi,

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:

> > did somebody succeed in compiling PostreSQL 7.1.3 for Alpha? I
> > downloaded the sources of PostgreSQL and with a little help from a
> > friend had the compile running through until a specified target for arch
> > was needed, but wasn't found in the package.
>
> 	I just pulled down PostgreSQL 7.1.3 onto my XL366 Alpha running
> stock Potato (2.2.19 kernel). With a './configure' and a 'make all', it
> built without problem. There were a handful of warnings, but that is
> pretty standard for pgsql on Linux/Alpha.

Unfortunately, it did not work out that smoothly when I tried to compile
it.

> 	If you can email some more detailed description of what is
> breaking, what compiler version you are using (and distribution,
> i.e. potato/woody/etc...), and even error messages from the compile, I
> will do my best to help you out. TTYL.

Here is a more complete report:

I am also running potato with kernel 2.2.19 and gcc 2.95.2, but on an
AlphaPC LX164.

The following sources and additional files were downloaded from
http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US/pool/non-US/main/p/postgresql/

postgresql_7.1.3-4.dsc
postgresql_7.1.3-4.diff.gz
postgresql_7.1.3.orig.tar.gz

To have it managed by dpkg/apt, we wanted to make it directly a
debian-package with

dpkg-source -x postgresql_7.1.3-4.dsc

then changed into the newly opened directory and did

dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc

The configure procedure started and stopped first when tkConfig.sh and
later when tclConfig.sh were needed, but for unknown reasons were not
found. We overcame it by exporting the path e. g. "export
TK_CONFIG_SH=/usr/lib/tkConfig.sh". Several other less dirty tricks
didn't work out.

The compilation started and ran for while, reporting a lot of "no
previous prototype" warnings for fdimf, __fdimf, __fdim and fdim, then
stopped with these error message:

make[5]: Entering directory
`/database/postgres/postgresql-7.1.3/src/interfaces/perl5'
make[5]: *** No rule to make target `pure_vendor_install', needed by
`pure_install'.  Stop.
make[5]: Leaving directory
`/database/postgres/postgresql-7.1.3/src/interfaces/perl5'
make[4]: *** [install] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory
`/database/postgres/postgresql-7.1.3/src/interfaces/perl5'
make[3]: *** [install] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/database/postgres/postgresql-7.1.3/src/interfaces'
make[2]: *** [install] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/database/postgres/postgresql-7.1.3/src'
make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/database/postgres/postgresql-7.1.3'
make: *** [binary-arch] Error 2

That was the point where we stopped trying further.

Thank you for offering your help,

a happy new year,

Kerstin

--