Re: whats up? 511577428

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Juha Jäykkä wrote:

> > I am for it. And I would like to know the cost of the blackhole list -
> > I would even donate money for that reason. Is there a sponsoring pool
> > or something like that set up for it?
>
>   I do not know which MAPS services debian used to use, but the prices
> are at http://mail-abuse.org/feestructure.html. Probably the cost
> would be $125/nameserver/year + $5/user/year... I would pay that $5 any
> time to stop the spam. Anyone else? The $125 is quite nothing,
> especially if divided between all list subscribers.

There is an ethical problem with the new MAPS fee structure, however.  One
of our local LUG members runs an ISP which heavily supports Linux.  He
contributed heavily to the black-hole lists, and now is being forced to
pay for his own work if he wishes to use it.

As much as the lists are a good thing, and they have made allowances for
individuals, educational institutions, and non-profit org's to have
discounts, they are still profiting from other's work without
compensation.

I would urge that some of the other options be researched, besides it
would simplify things to keep money out of it on a free and open list such
as these.

Just my two cents worth.

Phil Mendelsohn

--
I liked HP before computers, and at one time I liked Compaq,
but I liked DEC better than HP and Compaq put together.