Help! MIDI on the Alpha

I recall seeing something in the distant past about a problem with MIDI
on the ALPHA due to a different system clock frequency...or something
like that.  I also recall a "fix" in the same document.  I am now
running into this problem here, and I cannot find/recall the reference
or the "fix".  The symptoms are a burst of static when starting a MIDI
file then nothing more....  The rest of the sound system works fine (CD,
WAV files, MPEG, etc).

Can anyone point me to a document that discusses this??

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-