Help with ethernet and ram

Hi,
   I have a couple of quick questions.  I have recently purchaced an alpha
pws500a.  I finally managed to get debian installed on it, but I seem to be
having trouble with the network.

   Looking throught dmesg I can see that the ethernet device is found and
started properly, and throught ifconfig eth0 i can see that the ip/netmask
and such are configured correctly, but i cannot ping anyone else on the
network here.  I have a couple of different computers on a local network.
They all have ip address in the 192.168.18.0 network, and all have the
default netmask (255.255.255.0).  No problems with the regular pcs here, they
can ping each other fine.  However, the alpha refuses to work.  It can ping
itself fine (192.168.18.48; which i suppose means the ethernet works
somewhat), but cannot ping the gateway (192.168.18.135) or another
workstation (18.45).

   In addition to this, the ethernet device continually sends out packets,
even when no net traffic is (or at least shouldn't be) used.  I tried
unplugging all other cables except the server and the alpha, but the traffic
did not stop (I thought perhaps there might be some kind of interference).
Also, when the cable is removed from the alpha when the ethernet has not been
shut down, it continually spits out errors on STDOUT, which is pretty
annoying, espessially when your trying to install debian, and the ethernet
hasn't been configured yet :)

   I've read throught the documentation for the network source in the linux
kernel souce documentation (only for the kernel that potato shipped with
though, i havent had a chance to look through the documentation for the 2.4
kernel series... yet).  I couldn't find much info helpfull, only for boot
options if you want to use the coax connection.

  Are there known problems with the ethernet cards on pws500a (driver is
de4x5), or can i just chalk this one up to being jumbled around in shipping
too much?

  Now for the second part, going by the compaq page:
http://www.compaq.com/alphaserver/workstations/retired/aseries/techspecs.html
i see that the workstation uses ecc memory.  I've done a quick search on the
net for prices (i would like to upgrade by about 256M) and the prices seem to
be equal to regular SDRAM.  My question is:  Will the alpha support 'generic'
ecc ram, and if so, at what speeds (100, 133...).  If not, does anyone know
of a nice (fairly cheap) online shop to purchase some ram at.

  I understand most people wont just have this info sitting in their head, so
if you dont know, but have some links to some info that might just be
helpfull, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
--
You will be awarded some great honor.

Jonathan Nelson [icq=56665957] [aim=ciasaboark]