Re: XFree86 4.1.x and S3 Trio32

"James D. Freels" wrote:

> Under XFree86 3.x, the S3 Trio32 card worked fine with either S3 or
> svga drivers.  However, under XFree86 4.x, the only thing I can find
> that works is vga@320x200 (which is not acceptable).  Does anyone have
> a suggestion for this older DEC card with X4?  I suppose I could
> downgrade to X3?
>
> --
> James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D.
> Oak Ridge National Laboratory
> freelsjd@ornl.gov - work
> jdfreels@home.com - home

I don't think this card is supported in XFree86 4.X.  Reference:  Look
at the XFree86 website for the S3 chipset cards at
http://www.xfree86.com/4.1.0/Status28.html#28

I have a 8 Meg Matrox Millenium card here that works fine under Xfree86
4.1 using the "xserver-xfree86" server, which is the "all-in-one" server
in this version.  This particular Matrox card uses the "mga" module.
The Alpha is an old XLT-300, circa 1996.

You might try the combination of the "xserver-s3" + "xserver-common-v3"
from the "testing" tree.  I have not done this here, but my impression
is that this allows the older version 3.3.6 style servers to be used in
version 4.1.  If you d/l and install the first package, it should pull
down the second due to dependencies.

I "think" you need the XFree86 4.X version to run KDE...

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-