Re: Help with ethernet and ram

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 01:43:51AM -0500, CiAsA S'Nuey Boark wrote:
> Hi,
>    I have a couple of quick questions.  I have recently purchaced an alpha
> pws500a.  I finally managed to get debian installed on it, but I seem to be
> having trouble with the network.

Could this be some sort of full/half-duplex problem? Perhaps you can set
the mode of the ethernet card in the SRM console?

>    I've read throught the documentation for the network source in the linux
> kernel souce documentation (only for the kernel that potato shipped with
> though, i havent had a chance to look through the documentation for the 2.4
> kernel series... yet).  I couldn't find much info helpfull, only for boot
> options if you want to use the coax connection.
>
>   Are there known problems with the ethernet cards on pws500a (driver is
> de4x5), or can i just chalk this one up to being jumbled around in shipping
> too much?

Well, my PWS500au didn't have any problem talking to a 10mb hub, and now
doesn't have any problem talking to a 10/100 switch.

>   Now for the second part, going by the compaq page:
> http://www.compaq.com/alphaserver/workstations/retired/aseries/techspecs.html
> i see that the workstation uses ecc memory.  I've done a quick search on the
> net for prices (i would like to upgrade by about 256M) and the prices seem to
> be equal to regular SDRAM.  My question is:  Will the alpha support 'generic'
> ecc ram, and if so, at what speeds (100, 133...).  If not, does anyone know
> of a nice (fairly cheap) online shop to purchase some ram at.

Try ebay. I got 6 dimms (PC100 ECC, 256 MB) at $34 each. This was about
a month ago, and I remember the seller didn't sell his whole lot. I just
love seeing this:

Linux version 2.4.15-pre4 (root@alpha) (gcc version 2.95.4 20011006 (Debian prerelease)) #3 Tue Nov 13 21:38:54 CET 2001
Booting on Miata using machine vector Miata from SRM
Command line: ro root=/dev/sda1 video=matrox:vesa:0x11E,fv:80
memcluster 0, usage 1, start        0, end      236
memcluster 1, usage 0, start      236, end   196607
memcluster 2, usage 1, start   196607, end   196608
freeing pages 236:384
freeing pages 818:196607
reserving pages 818:821
pci: cia revision 1 (pyxis)
On node 0 totalpages: 196607
zone(0): 196607 pages.
zone(1): 0 pages.
zone(2): 0 pages.
Kernel command line: ro root=/dev/sda1 video=matrox:vesa:0x11E,fv:80 ncr53c8xx=tags:64
HWRPB cycle frequency bogus.  Estimated 499784057 Hz
Using epoch = 1900
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 994.44 BogoMIPS
Memory: 1542856k/1572856k available (2165k kernel code, 28112k reserved, 658k data, 352k init)

Perhaps you can contact him? ( whitetoe AT aol.com ) It's generic PC100
ECC memory, BTW. I think I remember reading somewhere PC66 ECC should
also work, and PC133 ECC will almost certainly also work.

>   I understand most people wont just have this info sitting in their head, so
> if you dont know, but have some links to some info that might just be
> helpfull, I sure would appreciate it.

Good luck with your Alpha - I love mine!

Jurriaan
--
You can die before you get old
	New Model Army - 125 MPH