Re: XFree86 4.1.x and S3 Trio32

On Wednesday 14 November 2001 02:57 pm, James D. Freels wrote:
> Under XFree86 3.x, the S3 Trio32 card worked fine with either S3 or
> svga drivers.  However, under XFree86 4.x, the only thing I can find
> that works is vga@320x200 (which is not acceptable).  Does anyone have
> a suggestion for this older DEC card with X4?  I suppose I could
> downgrade to X3?

I had to replace the S3 Trio in my Alpha workstation (Screemer 500 from
Microway, PC164). I believe it was actually a #9-branded Trio, something like
Velocity 332. According to the info I dug up, there was very little demand
for this card over the past year or two, so the XFree people did not bring it
over to the XF86 4 tree. Also, I recall some grumblings about how hard it was
to get it to work with XF86 3.x, and no one was looking forward to doing the
work for 4.x.

I've since replaced it with a Matrox Millenium II, which works great (after I
updated the PC164 firmware).

Marty Sanborn

--
| Martin Sanborn - Dept. of Chemical Engineering - Northwestern University |
| m-sanborn@nwu.edu - (847)467-1653 - http://zeolites.cqe.nwu.edu/marty |