Via-Rhine trouble on AS255

Hello there,

	I'm running an AlphaStation 255/233 MHz with 128 MB RAM.
I have just installed the potato release of debian.
To connect the computer with my (sad to say it :-)) windows pc, I bought an additional ethernet network device card. It is a D-Link DFE-530TX. According to documentations it needs the Via-Rhine device driver.
However, the SRM on the alpha does not find the PCI card (ewa0 is the on-board device) and when installing the kernel and device drivers the debian installation can't find the modules for via-rhine (or anything else for that matter - I get module not found for every additional driver in all categories).
How do I add it to the kernel and does the SRM need to find and recognize the card in order to make it work.

Enormous thanks in advance

Patrick Strang
strang@kth.se