kernel v2.4.11 seems to work now for my Alpha machine

Recall several instances in the past to this mailing list with regard
to previous versions of the 2.4.x Linux kernel causing one of my Alphas
to lock up (hard).  There have been several explanations offered
including the de4x5 driver (for DE-500-aa card), tulip driver, scsi
driver (ncr-53c810), compiler version (gcc vs egcs), etc.  Well, it
doesn't matter now because it is working.  I did nothing particular
revolutionary in the configuration (it is a straight oldconfig from the
2.2.19 configuration), but for some reason, it is now working as it
should.  This has been going on since 2.4.0 release.

Usually the symptom of the failure was when the network started some
major traffic, the system locked up.  Other versions appeared to be
related to scsi.  I cannot really say for sure.

I am using a current version of SRM firmware.  The software is the
present distribution of Debian/Testing for Alpha (Woody).  The machine
is a Microway screamer with 500 Hhz 21164a chip.  I had a success story
similar to this before, and it failed in a few minutes.  Usually, it
failed within seconds or upon boot up.  It is going on over 30 minutes
now with major load tests being down (cpu, net, i/o, etc.).

I am sending this to all who have responded to me to try and help out
in my previous postings.

My goal all along has been to try out reiserfs since it works so well
on my Intel machines.  I plan on running about a week or so and then
give it a whirl.

Thanks for all who have helped, and, especially thanks to all the
Linux/Debian developers for such a fine operating system!

--
James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory