Re: Alpha milo bootdisks, can we use SuSes?

Hallo !
On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 01:27:50PM +0200, Falk Hueffner wrote:
> Helge Kreutzmann <kreutzm@itp.uni-hannover.de> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 10:14:00PM +0200, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> > > Should the boot-floppies script download those disks or do we just
> > > copy them into the debian mirror with a readme.txt explaining
> > > their origin?

> > To have a stable and comparable setup (i.e. to have a "single"
> > common source regardless what Stefan Reinauer might do in the
> > future) I would suppose to include them into debian, not simply
> > download them at buid time. We should contact him though and inform
> > him to be fair.
>
> I don't see the point in this. It would blow up the build time
> tremendously, by several hours, and we would end up with exactly the
> same images that we could download. Should we need to do special
> tweaks for Debian, we can still grab the source; it's GPL after all.

Well I am not a Debian developer so maybe this might give me some
problems understanding the details but why is the build time prolonged
if the milo disk is simply copied into debian once instead of
downloaded every time when building boot floppies ? In the first case
the milo disk is available to the build process imediately in the
latter case a network/computer problem inbetween the build system and
the webside could delay the build indefinitely.

Please note that as I understood we were never talking about actually
getting the source at this stage of the boot floppies developement.

       Helge

--
Helge Kreutzmann, Dipl.-Phys.               Helge.Kreutzmann@itp.uni-hannover.de
         For gpg-key: finger kreutzm@rigel.itp.uni-hannover.de