Re: Re: latest pre-packaged kernel?

XFree86 v4.0.x are all very unstable for me on my Alpha PWS
with an old Matrox Mystique 220 card. Random freezes every
2-30 minutes so I have to ssh to it and kill X.
I haven't tried v4.1.0 though. v3.3.6 is stable. Not VERY
stable, it still dies every 2nd/3rd day or so, but it's
usable.

// Wigren

Chimelis wrote:

> > On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Per Wigren wrote:
> >
> > > Remember to use XFree86 v3.3.6 and Kernel 2.2.19!
4.0.x and
> > > 2.4.x are very unstable on alpha. I haven't tested XF
4.1.x
> > > yet though...
> >
> <snip>
> >
> > XFree86 4.0.x is also MUCH better on my alphas than
prior
> > versions.  Granted, S3ViRGE support sucks (it does on
all archs,
> > actually), but the V3, Millenium I, and Permedia2 are
all running quite
> > well with the newer XFree versions.  I'm still working
on getting 4.1.0's
> > tdfx driver with DRI to not sack out my machine, but
that may be a problem
> > with my libglide3-alpha package (which I maintain).
>
> I second that. XFree86 4.0.3 (on 2.2.19 though) seems to
be more
> stable than 3.x versions. I could reproducible crash my
machine by
> switching to the console while TV capturing is on which
no longer

kreutzm@itp.uni-hannover.de
>          For gpg-key: finger kreutzm@rigel.itp.uni-
hannover.de