Re: netscape?

"Christopher C. Chimelis" wrote:

> The problem is g++, believe it or not.  I tracked down the problem ages ago
> and realised that the multiple inheritence C++ code isn't compiled correctly
> by g++.  I've been testing g++-3.0 with mozilla on and off, but I don't
> think
> that mozilla is ready to comply with the changes in the new gcc (dies with
> missing symbol problems when linking).
>
> BTW, on exit, is mozilla segfaulting?  This is usually a symptom of the
> above
> (destructors aren't being called in most cases, so each execution will cause
> a memory leak).
>
> If I get a working mozilla, I'm going to try to fix the build-deps and such
> for
> alpha so that the autobuilders can build it again and we can have an updated
> (and working) browser :-)

Thanks, Chris & Elijah!

Now for some additional info from my most recent experiences.  I am NOT
a coder so I am at the limit of what I know how to do.

1. "apt-get update" and an "apt-get install mozilla" from Debian
Unstable will d/l and INSTALL 3 packages in this order:
mozilla-browser, mozilla-mailnews, and mozilla (a dummy package that has
dependencies for the other two).  The install will bomb-out in setting
up (dpkg --configure) phase of mozilla-browser with an error message of:

   /var/lib/dpkg/info/mozilla-browser.postinst: line 19:  1581 Illegal
instruction     /usr/bin/regxpcom >/dev/null 2>/dev/null
dpkg: error processing mozilla-browser (--configure):
The number before the "Illegal instruction" seems to vary from
install-to-install.  This is just an extract of a long list of error
messages at this point.

2.  Edit "/var/lib/dpkg/info/mozilla-browser.postinst" to comment out
the offending line(s).  I have found that you MUST comment out the next
line (line 20) also, i.e.:

#       /usr/bin/regxpcom >/dev/null 2>/dev/null
#       /usr/bin/regchrome >/dev/null 2>/dev/null

3.  Re-configure mozilla-browser ONLY (dpkg --configure
mozilla-browser).  It will complete this time.

4.  Run "/usr/bin/regxpcom" (minus all the diversions to /dev/null) and
you get the following message:

*** Registering Proxy Auto Config (a Javascript module!)
*** Unloading Proxy Auto Config...
Illegal instruction    <-----THIS is probably what is causing the
"problem"!!

5.  Run "/usr/bin/regchrome" and this completes without
complaint/comment.  I did steps 4&5 just to replace what I had edited
out in step 2, AND to see what was being diverted to /dev/null.

6.  Repeat steps 2-5, but do it on mozilla-mailnews, i.e. edit
/var/lib/dpkg/info/mozilla-mailnews.postinst and comment out the SAME
TWO LINES then reconfigure mozilla-mailnews and add back in the two
instructions you edited out from the command console.  I got the exact
same message here when I ran /usr/bin/regxpcom.

7.  Now you can install/configure the "dummy" mozilla package without
problems.  Mozilla now works for me using this procedure in "root" as
well as in the "user" accounts.  There seems to be some other problems
with GTK internal to Mozilla, but I havn't had it stop the show yet.  It
complains, but goes on.

Apparently the /usr/bin/regxpcom program is the bad-boy.  The "Illegal
instruction" comes up when the Javascript module is unloaded.  Perhaps
this info will help focus the investigation somewhat.

HTH & Cheers,
-Don Spoon-