Failed glibc-downgrade - dpkg stopped working

Hello !
In an attempt to get netscape working again I downgraded glibc which
turned out to be a bad idea because in the postinstall script I got
some errors (which I first ignored so I have to write the off mind)
EXT2: Unable to unlink non-exiting file
rm ...

Next thing was that ldconfig was missing which I copied over from a
redhat box. Many programs stopped working claiming
sixtyfor:~# ls
ls: /lib/librt.so.1: version `GLIBC_2.2' not found (required by ls)
ls: /lib/libc.so.6.1: version `GLIBC_2.2' not found (required by ls)

I can trick around that by using a small script, e.g. for rm I made
/bin/sash -a -c "rm $1 $2 $3"
unfortunately dpkg (which stopped at rm before) does not continue to
work fully:
sixtyfor:/home/helge/scratch/incoming/debian# dpkg -i libc6.1_2.2.3-5_alpha.deb
-rf: No such file or directory
--: No such file or directory
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci: Is a directory
dpkg-deb: /lib/libc.so.6.1: version `GLIBC_2.2' not found (required by
dpkg-deb)dpkg: error processing libc6.1_2.2.3-5_alpha.deb (--install):
 subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 1
-rf: No such file or directory
--: No such file or directory
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci: Is a directory
 libc6.1_2.2.3-5_alpha.deb

(The version I downgraded to was libc6.1_2.1.3-18_alpha.deb).

Is there any other way besides a reinstall to get the proper libc
again ? Would it be sensible to compile libc under redhat 5.2 or
redhat 6.2 and simply "copy over" ?

Any help GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

                    Helge