Re: Build a kernel - break a machine

Hello !
On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 10:57:55PM +1000, Rob B wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I tried building a new kernel on my Cabriolet (soon to be augmented by a
> PWS-500au:) using the kernel-package tools.  The kernel built OK, but I had
> trouble installing it.  Should dpkg -i <kernel package name> work with no
> special incantations and does the kernel package need to be moved to a
> particular directory?
Nope, it should (and does on my LX) work just from everywhere. It
takes care of /etc/aboot.conf as well. What excatly happend when you
used dpkg ?

> What ended up happening was I copied the kernel to the /boot directory and did:
>
>          >ln -s /boot/<kernel package name> /
>
> I then modified /etc/aboot.conf to boot the new kernel.
Why that ? You can enter any location you like into /etc/aboot.conf.

> The machine now throws an error similar to:
>
>          panic: Unable to mount root filesystem

This sound rather to a build problem. Did you include ext2, and your
appropriate hardware (ide, scsi) ?

Regards

      Helge

--