Build a kernel - break a machine

Hi all,

I tried building a new kernel on my Cabriolet (soon to be augmented by a PWS-500au:) using the kernel-package tools. The kernel built OK, but I had trouble installing it. Should dpkg -i <kernel package name> work with no special incantations and does the kernel package need to be moved to a particular directory?

What ended up happening was I copied the kernel to the /boot directory and did:

        >ln -s /boot/<kernel package name> /

I then modified /etc/aboot.conf to boot the new kernel.

The machine now throws an error similar to:

        panic: Unable to mount root filesystem

Did I do this right?

Cheers,
Rob

--
Give a man a beer, waste an hour.
Teach a man to brew and waste a lifetime!