Re: fairly serious problem, need help!

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 10:02:45PM -0400, Dr. James D. Freels wrote:
> I have 2 Debian/Alpha machines running v2.2r3 stable with nearly
> identical setups.  Machine #2 has no problems.  On Machine #1, I have
> experimented with 2.4.4 kernels and have had problems with it, so both
> machines are running v2.2.19 of the kernel.
I've tried 2.4.4 kernels, don't work
2.4.5 kernels don't compile for me.
but anyway...

> fea6:/var/run# rm random-seed
> rm: cannot remove `random-seed': Input/output error
> fea6:/var/run#
I'd boot into single user mode and try again.
If that doesn't work, stick the drive into the 'good' alpha (along
with the existing disk) and try removing it then.

> Does anyone know how I can force /var/run/random-seed to go away and be
> recreated ?
look in /etc/rcS.d/S55urandom for hints.

You might find something has that file open and that is why you cannot
kill it, get fuser to find out what it is.

Hope this helps you.

  - Craig
--
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.eye-net.com.au/        <csmall@eye-net.com.au>