Re: Why halt does reboot?

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 07:15:26PM -0400, Tom Vier wrote:

> same thing happens on my miata. i believe you have to pass some sort of
> return structure to srm, or it may be that linux breaks some of srm's
> assumptions.

Bingo (the latter). Some SRM consoles are VERY sensitive to the setup
of PCI devices/DMA windows/etc, and break when they aren't just so.
Alpha Linux 2.2.x kernels save off all the original settings before
changing them, and restore them during shutdown. 2.4.x kernels on
Alpha do not.

> netbsd works, in fact netbsd does warm srm reboots (much faster
> than rebooting the whole machine), which would be a nice feature.

IIRC, the *BSDs don't modify the SRM settings the way Linux does.
This is much in keeping with the way Tru64 works, as well.

The reason that Alpha Linux does it's own thing, rather than use the
SRM settings, is that for many years we *had* to do our own thing, as
most Alpha machines running Linux during that period of time were
running the NT console and using MILO and EBSDK PAL.

Could it use the SRM settings? Most likely.

Should it? When possible, I guess; at least it would solve the reboot
problem... ;-}

> I don't think there's a way for linux to have both. it's either
> return to srm which reruns aboot, or reboot srm as well.

Yup.

--Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            Alpha Engineering - LINUX Project
Compaq Computer Corp. - MRO1-2/K20         (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com