Re: Why halt does reboot?

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 02:47:50PM +0200, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:

> Just installed 2.2r2 on a Alphastation 500.
> This is a trial for a successive installation of a beowulf cluster.
> The problem is: halt instruction does reboot the machine instead of
> stopping it. Boot is done by aboot and SRM is the eprom monitor.
> Kernel is 2.2.18pre17.
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> --
> Francesco P. Lovergine

Patching arch/alpha/sys_alcor.c in 2.2.19 works.
The problems is that it stops but do not return to SRM prompt.
Instead a message

*** Console stopped because of Machine Check ***
*** Pressa HALT Button to return to console ***

is issued. Obviosly I have not any halt key...
Maybe a different value is required instead of 0x0000dead in that file?

Any Compaq engineer on air there? :)

--
Francesco P. Lovergine