Re: Why halt does reboot?

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 02:21:18PM -0500, Lease, Mike wrote:
> You probably have the "AUTO_ACTION" environment variable in SRM
> set to "BOOT" instead of "HALT".  Try halting the machine, then
> as the SRM prompt is about to come up (but before it actually
> does), begin hitting Ctrl-C repeatedly, as fast as you can manage.
> It can be difficult to get it in at just the right time, so you
> may have to do this a few times (I've seen situations where 3 or
> 4 different people have done this, and failed, only to have one
> more person try and succeed).  Once it takes, you should see the
> SRM prompt (">>>").  When this happens, type "show auto*" at the
> prompt (without the quotes).  That will show you the value of
> the AUTO_ACTION variable.  If it's wrong (and I expect it will
> be), you can change it by typing "set auto_action halt".  After
> that, the system should just come up to the SRM console when
> you halt it, rather than rebooting.  Let me know whether or not
> this helps, please.

I knew that variable. This is not the problem. We need autobooting
at poweron and a real halt when 'halt' instruction is issued.
This is exactly the behavior of Compaq True64 on that archs (Alcor).
Tom Vier suggested patching the kernel and I really think this is the
right solution. Maybe that patch should be considered for backporting
in 2.2 series.