GD5434 and PC164SX = :(

Well, I suppose this should go somewhere so no-one has the fun I have
had.  It seems that a Cirrus Logic GD5434 PCI video card will NOT work
with a PC164SX.  I doesn't play nice.

What does doesn't work mean?

It means you boot and before you even get to the CMOS (or eqivalent)
screen you get continuous pages of debugging gunk.  I couldn't stop
it so I'm not sure what it says (that's clever, unreadable error
messages) but it looked a bit like a top part of a kernel oops with
the EIP etc, but of course it has nothing to with Linux, it didn't
even get past POST.

So if you have a CL GD5434 ad your thinking of using it, you might want
to smash it into little pieces instead.

  - Craig (new alpha owner about to test boot disks)

--
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.eye-net.com.au/        <csmall@eye-net.com.au>