autofs problems...

Hi,

I just install my first Alpha with Debian and autofs (using NIS) isn't
working for me.  This was one of the thinks that was failing
previously on this machine (RH 5.0, not mine), and there's some
possibility of vaugue NIC problems, but I can't seem to break the card
with larg packets or odd protocols...

What I get:

on start up autofs lists all the proper top level directories to
manage, ypmatch works ( ie "ypmatch foo auto.bar" gives the right info
for /bar/foo), but when I cd to /bar/foo I get no such file or
directory.

I'm quite puzzled.  Is autofs enable in the stock 2.2.18preXX generic
kernel?

Thanks,
-Jon