Re: NumLock

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Jean-Paul Blaquiere wrote:

> > On Apr 04, Rob Byrnes illuminated with a virtual pen  :
>
> > Excuse the uber-newbie question, but how can I adapt the following to the
> > "Debian way"?
> >
> >  >Place this in in your /etc/rc.d/rc.local to activate Numlock for the
> > first six terminals:
> >  >
> >  >echo "Activating Numlock ..."
> >  >for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6; do
> >  >       /usr/bin/setleds +num < /dev/tty${i} > /dev/null
> >  >done
> >
> create a file in /etc/init.d/  call it, say numlock ...
>
> inside it put:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> # numlock auto-on thingy
>
> echo "Activating Numlock ..."
> for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6; do
> /usr/bin/setleds +num < /dev/tty${i} > /dev/null
> done
>
> then create symlinks in /etc/rc{0,1,2,3,4,5,6}.d that point to this file.
> the S indicating to init that we want to run this script when we change to
> this runlevel, the number (99) indicating what order relative to all the other
> scripts we want it run.  99 indicating last.
>
> for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6;do
> 		  ln -s /etc/init.d/numlock /etc/rc$1.d/S99numlock
> done

Do you really need to start it in every run level, or just the one in
which will be operating (which I assume is run level 2, since that is what
/sbin/runlevel reports as the run level on my system)?

Also, I'm told you can just put a link with name like Slocal_hacks in for
example rc2.d and it will come after all links with numbers (since
characters follow numbers).  This seems handy to me when I just want
things to happen after everything else in ordinary boot, expecailly since
somr of the rc directories already have S99 entries.

> Now my question, how does one do the same with X?

I suppose you know about .xsession.