Re: openafs on alpha

On Sat, 3 Mar 2001, Andrei A. Dergatchev wrote:

> Hi,
> I actually downloaded AFS sources the day they were
> released, and I'm subscribed to AFS mailing lists since than,
> but I had to spent some time hunting for decent and cheap
> HDDs to make any use of it :-)

	I'm using loopback filesystems for my /vicep?s for testing.

> There were some talks about Tru64 patches for AFS recently in
> OpenAFS-devel, I thought that maybe it will be possible to make
> use of them when they will come out. I'm wondering what is your
> expert opinion, if there will be some communication between
> AlphaLinux and Tru64 ports or not ?

	Well, I haven't been affiliated with IBM for a while now, so I
really can't give any expert opinion. I also haven't really seen any
process for contributing back code to openafs, and the boards seem
relatively dead.

	I've believed that the whole mess that is AFS should be rewritten
for years. It's actually gotten worse, with more #ifdef nests and stupid
assumptions like #ifdef LINUX_64BIT_ENV -> use 32 bit user space code
because sparc64 linux does it that way.

	It would be easier if one could reverse engineer the
specifications from the source and then rewrite it portably.

"I'm not just a server, but I'm also a client."		Debian GNU/Linux
Michael Stroucken	stroucki@debian.org	 Is your penguin 64 bit?