Re: openafs on alpha

>         I'm using loopback filesystems for my /vicep?s for testing.

Thanks a lot for the hint ! I'll try it out immediately :-)

>         Well, I haven't been affiliated with IBM for a while now, so I
> really can't give any expert opinion. I also haven't really seen any
> process for contributing back code to openafs, and the boards seem
> relatively dead.

Well, you haven't seen OpenOffice lists then, and I guess
that the amount of users of StarOffice is a bit higher then
that of AFS.

>         I've believed that the whole mess that is AFS should be rewritten
> for years. It's actually gotten worse, with more #ifdef nests and stupid
> assumptions like #ifdef LINUX_64BIT_ENV -> use 32 bit user space code
> because sparc64 linux does it that way.

Since I've got E450 at work I keep an eye open on sparc64
linux and netbsd, and I'd guess that combined amount of users
who really know, need and use 64 bits on ultrasparcs can be
counted with uchar variable. Alpha is representing 64 bit
Linux much more imho.

>         It would be easier if one could reverse engineer the
> specifications from the source and then rewrite it portably.

I'm sorry to show my lack of knowledge here, which specs do you
mean ? I thought that published source code is complete ?

> "I'm not just a server, but I'm also a client."         Debian GNU/Linux
> Michael Stroucken       stroucki@debian.org      Is your penguin 64 bit?

Regards,

Andrei