Re: Text mode resolution and ARC weirdness

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 12:03:18PM -0500, Jim Crilly wrote:

> First off my hardware is an AS1000A 4/266 128M, DE500-BA, Mylex
> DAC960PL, S3/Virge, obviously I'm using the S3 instead of the
> onboard EISA video, I can switch back if it'll help anything.

No need.

> My main question is, is there a way to change the resolution of the
> console? I know on x86 you can use the vesafb and vga= kernel
> parameter to do this but havn't found a way on Alpha.

I believe this can be done, but have never done it myself.

I have used the FB code in the kernel on various controllers, TGA and
Matrox at least, but not S3/ViRGE (I've no card). There were some
problems I had to track down in those drivers' code, so it's quite
possible the same would be true of any others.

> Secondly, recently ARC has stopped loading for me, which isn't a
> real problem since I boot from SRM, but I can't run the ECU or RCU
> from SRM or atleast I don't know how. If I type 'arc' from SRM it
> says it's loading ARC from firmware then hangs before it does the
> driver initialization. I do have he latest SRM and ARC available.

And you need ECU/RCU for what, configuring the DAC? That would be a
problem; otherwise you'd only need ECU if you were mucking about with
EISA cards, IIRC.

Did ARC stop working when you added the ViRGE, or any other non-standard
hardware (hoping it's that simple :-)?

--Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            Alpha Engineering - LINUX Project
Compaq Computer Corp. - MRO1-2/K20         (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@compaq.com